Sobriety and Abstinence – 2 Distinctly Different Terms in Drug and Alcohol Recovery
Entering and growing in recovery or even working on sobriety is much different than lack, simply stopping the use of drugs and alcohol. Becoming sober is a procedure, not an event. Some people get into treatment, complete it and think they are done; that is no therefore.
Achieving sobriety and developing in recovery is a progressive, developing process. There are phases associated with recovery which are moved through, every with its unique tasks, lessons and skills to be acquired. The very first building block of sobriety, the foundation in fact, is achieving disuse. Here is what is meant by lack:
Becoming abstinent, stopping the use of all feeling altering drugs, is the necessary very first task that must be completed in operating towards a life in recuperation. However, it is not by itself sobriety. It is like paying the admission charge at the amusement park, not the particular attractions themselves. Abstinence is an any nothing proposition, either you have give up absolutely, or not. To enter into sobriety requires total abstinence; the first foundation of sobriety.
Sobriety can be described as living a complete, rewarding and meaningful life with no need for drugs and / or even alcohol and without their make use of. There is movement from a lifestyle of dependence, destruction and getting unfulfilled to one of emotional, bodily and spiritual health. Sobriety can be defined as a way of life that involves healthful relationships, communication, and personal development.
Underlying fundamental beliefs associated with sobriety.
There a few fundamental principles that most would concur need to be identified, processed and approved, in order to form a firm base in recovery. Here they are:
1. Sobriety is a procedure, not an event; in fact, this is a lifelong process that is not easy yet definitely possible.
2. One is never at a standstill; you are either moving away from a drink or even drug or closer, your activities determine your direction.
3. Complete absence + growth in recovery = sobriety
4. Sobriety is a pro-active plan. A thought is just a thought, nothing at all happens without you take action. Simple intellectual acceptance is not enough.
5. There are below principles of recovery that must be discovered, the first is rigorous personal honesty and integrity.